Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Finely Shaped

Like dried clay, earth toned, not yet fired
Like eggs, hit together, then pulled apart

I see myself cracked this way
spaces made where I can fall
where new color,
light and water
can get in

What will make the difference
now that I am fragile?

Can I choose
the sky blue glaze
the green sea foam
the steely gray
to fill in all the gaping places?

I ask to choose these things because I value what
I have not lost
and what there is that I might gain by
bearing up under the heat

The fire takes
the guilt and shame and love and hope
and makes
the promise of redemption

A trial by fire is just that:
a trial

nothing more, nothing less

But
time it takes
and patience
patience
patience

I want to paint myself
with prayer and tears,
friends and full relinquishment

No more accusations
No more isolation

I see the hope
though I can’t grasp it

I see the wholeness
finely shaped



~Christie Tarman~
February 2008

1 comment: