Thursday, October 8, 2009

Saved

I am saved daily by so many things:

The great oak near my backyard
“Live Oak” it is named,
perhaps to emphasize the way
it stretches out its bark
to breathe in sky


The finches too,
untie my knotted heart
because they do not scatter in strong winds
but flow and flex around each other’s
wings and breasts and necks as if
their very life depended
on togetherness


And clouds!
From dragon claws to kitten’s paws
kitten’s paws to pillow fluff
pillow fluff to hands
Cloud hands
How wonderfully they shift without
addiction to the past or future plans


I’m learning how to live like that

I’m learning how to give the things I have:
the touch of human hands
the words from human tongue
the love that comes from being freed from grief too large
to carry on my back

(sometimes I choose to carry grief and hurt my back)

But
I am freed from that
when I believe it

No comments:

Post a Comment